The MakerBot Labs Experimental Extruder for Method and Method X is compatible with a wide range of third-party materials. While technically any material can be used with the Labs Extruder, MakerBot has partnered with and certified filament from several leading material companies such as:
- ABS CARBON FIBER from KIMYA. An ABS composite material with 30% chopped carbon fiber for improved stiffness and lower weight.
- PETG ESD from JABIL. An easy processing, Electrostatic Dissipative (ESD) product for printing parts that meet sensitive electronics and could be damaged by electrostatic discharge.
- DURABIO™ from Mitsubishi Chemical. Bio-based, BPA free resin. It combines PMMA’s transparency with a higher chemical and scratch resistance compared to polycarbonate (PC).
- PC-FR from Polymaker PolyMax™. A flame retardant polycarbonate (PC) filament (UL94V-0/1.5 mm) displaying excellent toughness, strength and heat resistance.
The list of partners continues to expand so check back often for updates.
A MODIFIED HOT END MAKES SWAPPING BETWEEN DIFFERENT METHOD EXTRUDERS INTUITIVE AND EASY
Equipped with a modified hot end, The LABS Experimental Extruder gives users advanced customization options for a wide range of new materials, including interchangeable nozzle assemblies and expanded print settings in MakerBot’s print preparation software, MakerBot Print. The Labs Extruder is capable of reaching up to 300°C, and includes sensors that track temperature, materials, and extruder jams.
By transforming METHOD into an open materials platform engineers can now utilize this incredibly powerful tool to actualize their ideas and designs.
- 1 LABS Extruder with the Modified Thermal Core
- 1 Spare Nozzle Tube Assembly
- 1 Spare Extruder PTFE Tube
- 1 L-Key for Nozzle Set Screw Removal
- 1 Nozzle Removal Tool
- 1 Aux Port PTFE Tube
HOW TO INSTALL THE MAKERBOT LABS EXPERIMENTAL EXTRUDER:
1. Please make sure your METHOD is running the latest firmware.
2. Take out the extruder that you currently have in extruder slot 1 and insert the LABS
3. Your METHOD will ask you to calibrate the extruders. Please make sure both extruder
nozzles are 100% clean to ensure accurate calibration.